I feel like a lot of health & fitness blogs forget to address a key factor in being fit, your mind. Your mind literally controls all of your actions and if your mind isn’t fit, how will your body ever get there?
I’m starting to brand Citrus & Gold as a wellness blog, not so much as a fitness blog. I am NOT going to tell you how to get a six-pack and I’m NOT going to help you find the perfect diet. Instead I’m going to touch on topics that help you go deep, that help you critically understand why you haven’t been meeting your goals or finding time for your own wellness.
I had to go through an internal struggle myself a couple of months ago.
I was mentally exhausted at the end of last year and beginning of this year. Too many voices were telling me what to do, too many of my own doubts were holding me back.
We all have moments in life where we’ve just had enough. The first step to recovering from those moments of exhaustion is accepting that it’s okay. It’s 100% okay to need a break. I feel like these days we are always told to go go go. But I don’t agree with that mentality at all.
I knew I had the potential of putting myself under a lot of stress with teaching POP Pilates, working, blogging and everything else in life. So I knew I needed to be proactive in my self-care routine.
If you are going through a period of stress, or stuck in some sort of rut here are a few tips that really helped me.
- Get off social media: even if it’s for a few days, delete the apps that are mentally bogging you down. I deleted the Facebook app from my phone for a good month before coming back to it. If you’re a blogger like me, realize that your readers can wait…your mental health cannot.
- Journal: write anything and everything that comes to mind. Use it as an outlet – it doesn’t even matter if you don’t came back to it.
- Travel: If you can get away for a weekend, do it. I know when you’re exhausted travel can seem like it’s adding another layer to your already stressful life but it’s so important to getaway. You’ll thank me later.
- Meditate: I know people have been preaching meditation for centuries (literally) but it works! Even if it’s 2 minutes, 5 minutes or 10 minutes, try it out! It does time taking used to it so don’t force it. Just come back to it everyday with an open mind. Headspace has been doing wonders for me.
- Spend time with loved ones: Sometimes when there is too much noise we isolate ourselves and that’s a big no-no! Especially for someone like me who has more introverted tendencies, alone-time is so important and it can be easy to fall into that trap. It’s super important to find the right balance between me-time & quality time with friends and family.
Thankfully, I’ve been feeling better implementing some of these tips to help with mental health & stress so I hope they help you too! If you need more tips to relax check out this post: 10 Ways to Treat your Mind & Body on a Budget.
Oh and one last thing, remember life is too damn short to be serious. Don’t let your mind bog you down. While focusing on yourself don’t forget to have fun with it!
Pin it for later!