Last week I celebrated my 26th birthday. As I grow older I’m beginning to enjoy more low-key intimate celebrations as I feel like I can fully enjoy the moments instead of worrying about everyone else. I think it’s okay to be a little selfish on your birthday!
My mother and I started off the day with a bootcamp workout and then spent the afternoon getting massages, lunch, and a little bit of shopping. In the evening my boyfriend and a couple of my close friends came over to my place for dinner and I couldn’t have asked for anything more. I felt so loved. Gratitude and happiness have filled me to the brim the last few days.
I collected a few wise words for 26 from fellow friends and mentors, and in return I’d like to share my own learnings in life up until this point:
26 Lessons for 26
- Family always come first.
- Sunscreen is so damn important. And a skincare regimen is a must.
- Invest in yourself first before giving back to others.
- Healthy for you is different than healthy for me.
- There is no perfect diet or workout.
- California is still the best place to live. Period.
- Traveling with your significant other is one of the best feelings in the world.
- Don’t feel bad for saying “no.” Be selfish with your time.
- Paleo chocolate chip cookies are the biggest life saver.
- Feeling comfortable at work is boring.
- The desire to make money doesn’t make you greedy.
- Your mom is still your best role model.
- In fact, you’ll find many people who inspire you but very few role models.
- Not everyone needs to have #squadgoals.
- Having two best friends beats having 10 okay friends.
- Camping ain’t half bad.
- Not all women crave drama.
- Not all guys are assholes.
- Rosé, Netflix, and boozy brunches are overrated. Sorry not sorry.
- Sunlight is the best drug for happiness.
- Living debt-free is pretty awesome.
- Everyone should learn how to become a good sales person.
- Self-help podcasts and audiobooks are amazing.
- Success is very subjective.
- Adulting is expensive.
- Life is not as complicated as we make it.