I’m all about treating ourselves when we can. Whether it’s a glass of wine in the evening, a quick online shopping spree (c’mon we are all guilty), or a fancy massage, we all deserve a little bit of pampering.
However, there are times where I find I’m using instant satisfaction to ease something deeper…and it doesn’t work. Though a rich creamy chocolate bar or a nice dinner may be great in the moment, they don’t do much if you are trying to fix something more unsettling.
I think we need to find more ways to treat our senses to ultimately gratify our minds and bodies long-term. I’ve shared 10 ways I like to treat my mind & body on a budget. Note I didn’t include anything that includes food and that’s on purpose because we so often use food as treats and there are so many other ways we can “reward” ourselves.
10 Ways to Treat Your Mind & Body on a Budget:
1. Meditate for 10 minutes with Headspace.
2. Foam roll while listening to your favorite podcast. Possibly This American Life or my new favorite, Him & Her, by the Skinny Confidential?
3. Go on a walk or a hike with no timeline, purpose, or stress.
4. Try a face mask at home with your best friend, mother, or significant other! Make sure to take a picture so you can laugh together later (or use it as blackmail…shh).
5. Take an extra 15 minutes in the morning to get ready. Play some music, look yourself in the mirror, and love what you see.
6. Try this POP Pilates stretching routine (via Blogilates)
7. Massage warm coconut oil or olive oil into your scalp before taking a warm shower.
8. Run a scenic route – focus on your surroundings, not speed.
9. Take a blank piece of paper or canvas and start doodling or painting.
10. Open a journal and write whatever comes to mind for 5-10 minutes.
Hope these ideas give you a few more options to calm & relax your mind and body.
I’m planning on using my Headspace app tonight before bed :).